Linux system...dressed downfrom yesterday.

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Tue Sep 28 11:19:02 EDT 2004

Hi,
Much of this is most helpful.  Let me clear up what i mean by a
comparative site for distributions.
I was thinking of a place that lists the programs included in each
distribution package, so I would know what  features and options I am
getting or losing in each choice.
Between your outline below, and a site referenced some posts back, you may
have accomplished this.
I am also not using windows, and intended to get someone to work with me,
not for me.
I want to have to fine tune as little as possible, but realize some fine
tuning will be needful as the latest distribution I choose may not have
the absolute  latest apps as it were.
If text chat is an option, as in my logging into a site where chat is
taking place and  doing this, not as in msn or aol messenger, than it
s should be fine.
Still this is not such an important thing that I would dump Linux all
together.
I am not sure why you may feel Linux is not for me,  Time choice and
experience will indicate this, but all the more reason not to use my
primary machine for this.
   Given so much of Linux is unaccessible in any  case  I may find i have
three machines in the end,  The one I use  now, a Linux only or
Linux/windows structure to make use of what can be done including finding
comparable Linux solutions  to the GUI programs if possible, and the mac I
already know i need for  another aspect of my professional life.  All
used to the best of their ability, but all contributing  all the way
around.
will not be using what said person likes, as said person will be
installing under my direction,  I am serious as to getting educated.
There is a happy medium between doing it all myself and giving the project
over entirely to another, I  am sorry you have not  personally experienced
this, but I have many many times.
my mind it will be no different than having sighted assistance for this,
and if  I choose a distribution  which does not really require this, than
perhaps they are assisting  me with the hardware only.
Hard to say, still your wisdom here contributes tot he investigation.
Thanks
Karen