Linux system...dressed downfrom yesterday.

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Tue Sep 28 10:36:22 EDT 2004

Hi.  Ok,  I'll try.

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 08:08:28AM -0400, Karen Lewellen wrote:
<snip>

> >I will ask them again.
> >If one wants to compare distribution packages, pros and cons of  them,
> >where can one go?  and second is there one good book or set of text that
> >is a Linux guide from commands up?

You aren't likely to find any comparison of distros.  One person's cool
feature is another's anoying problem.  The best you can do is look at
the web site for a distro and decide if it has the features you like.
Linux is all about choice.  You don't notice this because you use a
shell account on another computer.  You are limited by the admin to the
programs and behaviors set by the owners.  When you have your own Linux
box, you can change every program on the system to something you like.
The real differences with distros is the type of packaging system used
and the decisions on default apps.  You can't change the packaging
system, but you can change the apps.  Some thoughts to help you narrow
down your decisions are below.

If you want to install without sighted assistance, then you
probably want to only look at Debian, Fedora, Slackware, or Gentoo.
Since you say you don't want to compile software, Gentoo and Slackware
are probably not for you.  If you have to use Pine for email, then you
probably want Fedora.  Because of licensing, Debian doesn't have a
package for Pine.  In Debian, you would have to build Pine from source.
Debian and Slackware have docs written for the beginner specific to
their distro, don't know about Fedora.  You can get intro books for
Linux from www.empowermentzone.com.  Just search the page for Linux.

> >I  have no problem learning as i go, when i got my first computer, I
> >learned operating system, major programs screen readers and the like in
> >two days, and have rained others on operating systems, including  older
> >editions of windows.
> >i will certainly not be in a situation of using commands I do not
> >understand, as there are only certain tasks I want to perform with this
> >machine.

You aren't likely to learn Linux in 2 days.  If you just want a Linux
system to work and start using quickly with no effort, pay someone to
install and maintain it for you.  Of course if you take that root, you
will have to use the programs They decide and the system will only work
the way they want.

> >I am guessing that things like  listening to audio on line become easy
> >with a Linux desktop, something that I cannot do on my shell, as it is not
> >tied to my system directly..

Yes, I can listen to ogg, mp3, Real audio, or Windows Media with no
problems.

> >I have not heard much discussion of firefox here, or even opera, which may
> >not run in Linux, but if accessing media sites and taking part in online
> >conferences < another feature I have not heard talked of here>   is still
> >a windows thing than this box may become a Linux/windows one.
All those programs exist in Linux, but they are GUI apps that aren't
accessible.  There are accessible apps for text chat, but forget the
browsers.

> >Part of my work requires me to  listen to archived programs, an increasing
> >number of mpu setups, and the like.

You can listen to them with console apps.

> >As for Anne's suggestion to contact a local Linux users group, before this
> >morning I would have said there were none.  I have searched on occasion,
> >and found none, but apparently one has been started.  Whether this will
> >translate into someone interested in helping me locate the hardware and do
> >the installation remains to be seen.
> >I am sorry but I flat disagree as to the time idea.  I have a job and run
> >a production company.  I want indeed to read up as much as i can  so as to
> >choose the distribution best for me, guide the choices of system
> equipment,  and  run the programs, but I would rather
> >get someone else to help with or actually do the  installation and work
> >with the hardware.  Its my  time and my money, and I do not think i will
> >be using commands with no understanding of them.  No reason why this
> >should happen.

It sounds like you should pay someone to set up a Linux box for you and
don't give you the root password.  Either that or just stick with
windows.  Linux isn't for everyone, and it would seem it isn't for you.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny