Linux and data storage?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Sep 27 18:39:42 EDT 2004

Karen Lewellen writes:
> nope,
> suggest means well suggest.
> if the  question had been or if there had been no question,
> a recommendation might have be considered as to have been implied.

Well, let's try the dictionary. May I suggest Wordnet's #1, #3, and
possibly #5 would apply as well.

May I also note that your interpretation is #2 on the word list order,
and mine is #1?

dict suggest
3 definitions found

>From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:

  Suggest \Sug*gest"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. {Suggested}; p. pr. &
     vb. n. {Suggesting}.] [L. suggestus, p. p. of suggerere to
     put under, furnish, suggest; sub under + gerere to carry, to
     bring. See {Jest}.]
     1. To introduce indirectly to the thoughts; to cause to be
        thought of, usually by the agency of other objects.

              Some ideas . . . are suggested to the mind by all
              the ways of sensation and reflection. --Locke.

     2. To propose with difference or modesty; to hint; to
        intimate; as, to suggest a difficulty.

     3. To seduce; to prompt to evil; to tempt. [Obs.]

              Knowing that tender youth is soon suggested. --Shak.

     4. To inform secretly. [Obs.]

     Syn: To hint; allude to; refer to; insinuate.

>From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:

  Suggest \Sug*gest"\, v. i.
     To make suggestions; to tempt. [Obs.]

           And ever weaker grows through acted crime, Or
           seeming-genial, venial fault, Recurring and suggesting
           still.                                   --Tennyson.

>From WordNet (r) 2.0 [wn]:

  suggest
       v 1: make a proposal, declare a plan for something [syn:
{propose},
             {advise}]
       2: imply as a possibility; "The evidence suggests a need for
          more clarification" [syn: {intimate}]
       3: drop a hint; intimate by a hint [syn: {hint}]
       4: suggest the necessity of an intervention; in medicine;
          "Tetracycline is indicated in such cases" [syn: {indicate}]
          [ant: {contraindicate}]
       5: call to mind or evoke [syn: {evoke}, {paint a picture}]