Linux and data storage?

Terry D. Cudney terry at wasaga.dyns.net
Sun Sep 26 22:06:23 EDT 2004

Hi Karen, Larry, et al,

	To answer your original question, Karen, if you get your linux machine up and running you can use 'rsync' to transfer selective file/directory/sub-directoies to/from the shell account to your linux box. That is, if the shellworld machine has 'rsync' available.

	For your question Larry, if you want to dual boot between  Linux and another OS you can do that easily using one of the boot managers (lilo or grub). If you are worried about losing mail while in the other OS, just let your ISP spool the mail while you are not up in Linux. You can do that by using a pop retrieval program like 'fetchmail' to retrieve mail periodically from your isp, or just put a '.forward' file in the home directory of your shell account to push mail to your mta (exim or whichever you like). You then just rename the .forward file to something else while booted to the other os on your local machine. Mail then waits in your mailbox on the ISP until you enable forwarding again.

	There are just so many ways to do things in Linux! As others have mentioned, ftp, local redundancy, various backup methods, etc. It is very much worth the effort to move to Linux... <grin>

	HTH,

	--terry