Linux and data storage?

Luke Yelavich themuso at themuso.com
Sun Sep 26 21:02:30 EDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 10:23:46AM EST, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> Hi all,
> This is an odd one, so I hope I ask it in such a way to make sense.
> I do not have a Linux machine.  I have been trying to get this, and
> thought I had one in the he works but it seems that party either made up
> the machines they were offering, or  for some other reason is not coming
> through.

Thats a shame, but I guess it can't be helped.

<Snip>
> first, is there a way to move large amounts of data stored in the
> workspace of a Linux shell service to another location in tact, with
> relative ease,  and without taking all of the data on the entire system?

There is certainly a way of doing this, read below.

> second, if my machine was also a Linux one, would this kind of storage be
> easy to do?

If you had a Linux machine locally, I.E one that you owned and used yourself,
it would be a lot easier to do, as the tools that I am thinking of are readily
available on Linux.

The tools I am thinking of, are the SSH suite of tools, particularly one command
being scp. This command allows you to copy data securely over a network
connection, by means of encryption.

You will have to investigate whether such tools are available for DOS, but if
there is, it will be easy to copy all the data over in one command, without
bringing the rest of the system with it.

The only problem might be that you may have to use tools other than net tamer
to connect to the net in order to use scp.

As I said earlier, if you have local access to a Linux machine, this would be
a hell of a lot easier to do.

I hope this helps.

Luke