more data on screen

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Thu Sep 16 06:51:19 EDT 2004

This is a progress report that might encourage others to experiment:

I changed my lilo.conf to use the line

vga = 791

instead of

vga = normal

and then rebooted. I now have a 128 by 48 character display. When I
checked to see which applications were working correctly with the new
screen size, I found that lynx, pine, nano, mutella, less, and the man
pages, all were correctly resized to the new screen size. My text
reader, rita the reader, had to have its rita.cfg file changed to the
new screen parameters, but hey, that's a home made amateur program. So
far I see no down side to this new setup.

As for nano, I invoke it with a line length limit of 72 chars, so that
it wraps at that point, but without that command line option it too
would use the entire 128 char width. I will retain the 72 char width to
facilitate printing and emailing.

I am happy as a clam.

Chuck

Home page at http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh