Fw: Mozilla content keyboard navigation proposal - feedback sought ASAP!

david poehlman david.poehlman at handsontechnologeyes.com
Thu Sep 16 04:59:08 EDT 2004

Johnnie Apple Seed

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Korn" <Peter.Korn at Sun.COM>
To: <mozilla-accessibility at mozilla.org>
Cc: <uivp at yahoogroups.com>; <w3c-wai-ua at w3.org>; "kde-accessibility"
<kde-accessibility at kde.org>; <accessibility at freestandards.org>; "Java
Accessibility interest mailing list" <JAVA-ACCESS at JAVA.SUN.COM>;
<fdawg at speechinfo.org>; "gnome-accessibility-list"
<gnome-accessibility-list at gnome.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2004 2:00 AM
Subject: Mozilla content keyboard navigation proposal - feedback sought
ASAP!

Greetings,

One of the key accessibility issues in Mozilla is the lack of a workable
keyboard navigation scheme for navigating web content.  This is both a
fundamental accessibility requirement (as specified by Section 508
1194.21[a])
- as selecting text to copy to the clipboard is a "product function" which
must be "executable from a keyboard"; and it is also one way for a screen
reader user to browse the web - with their screen reader speaking/Brailling
the letter/word/line/sentence/table-cell that they have moved the caret to
as
appropriate for their movement.

After reviewing a number of the keyboard navigation schemes used to browse
the
web today, and also the keyboard navigation mechanisms of the Windows and
GNOME desktops, Sun is putting forth a proposal for keyboard navigation of
web
content in Mozilla/gecko.

Interested parties are strongly encouraged to read the proposal, at:

   http://www.mozilla.org/access/unix/keyboardproposal.html

and send comments to this e-mail thread at
<mozilla-accessibility at mozilla.org>
which is probably the most appropriate place for the discussion (though I'm
sending this announcement to a far wider set of aliases).

We are keen to implement (or see implemented) as much of a workable keyboard
navigation scheme as soon as possible - too many people have waited too long
for this to work.  We want to have something ready for use in a small number
of months.  We request that all interested parties review the proposal and
send their comments to the Mozilla accessibility list by Friday 24
September.

Thank you,

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team

P.S. please feel free to forward this announcement and solicitation for
review
on to other individuals and mailing lists, but please direct discussion to
<mozilla-accessibility at mozilla.org>