Bug with Speakup and Dectalk

Jayson Smith ratguy at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 14 07:37:52 EDT 2004

Hi there,
Since I've been using Speakup, I've noticed an annoyance which should
probably be brought up here.  Aparently, Speakup doesn't send any kind of
character E.G. space or something, to a Dectalk Express when it encounters a
newline.  Thus, if a word is followed immediately by a newline E.G. no
punctuation, space, etc, the next word will be run together with the first
word.  For example, the text
This
is
test.
would be spoken as Thisisatest.  That is actually nice when you have normal
text, but when you have information on lines E.G. an Apple II emulator
session running, etc. it can be an annoyance.
Another problem is with words with appostrophies in them.  Hope I spelled
that right!  Aparently, those aren't noted, or are treated like spaces.
E.G. the word "doesn't" is spoken as "doesn t".  There's also a problem with
sometimes digits not being spoken.  It's hard to exactly pinpoint this one
though.
Are there any patches for the latest CVS Speakup which fix any of these
problems, or is fixing them planned?
Thanks.