Mplayer Question was Re: gentoo and trplayer

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Mon Sep 13 04:28:08 EDT 2004

Hi Steve,

I have found that mplayer handles streams okay with the .ra extension,
but not .rm, but have no idea why. The only way I have been able to
suppress the console output is to invoke mplayer from within a script
where I can redirect stdout to /dev/null, which is not very
satisfactory.
It does seem to handle all sorts of realmedia files okay, but only .ra
streams, on my system.

Chuck

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, Steve Holmes wrote:

> Speaking of mplayer, I have a couple questions.  I can't seem to play
> Real Media streams at all.  Do I need some extra codeks? I got a bunch
> some while back that gives me access to just about everything else.
> The other is I would like to see a cleaner display where merely the
> tag info from playing files shows rather than all the other stuff that
> mplayer typically spiews such as elapsing time, buffering, etc.
> Anyone know how to do that?

My home page is at http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh
My speakfreely address is 24.105.197.112:2074