ouput jibberish from speakup while listening to egoplay

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Sun Sep 5 05:38:29 EDT 2004

If your console ever gets scrambled, there are two commands to try to
straighten it out.  These would be typed when you believe you are at a
shell prompt.  They are "stty sane" and "reset."  Each resets different
things.  Most of the time, "reset" works for me, but "stty sane" is
sometimes more effective.

As for running ogg123 or any other player for that matter, what I always
do is to shut off speech with insert-enter.  Then, I can review the screen
without having Speakup try to read the constantly changing information
like the timer that shows how long a clip has been playing, and the
bitrate of the clip, which changes rapidly with vorbis files.  Turning off
Speakup in this way only effects the console you are on at the time.
It's still active on other consoles.  You can hit insert-enter again to
wake it back up.  This is better than print screen in this case, since the
review commands are still functioning.