Debian Uninstall Question

Sean M McMahon smcmahon at usgs.gov
Mon Oct 4 14:33:58 EDT 2004

Those things are not installed, not removed, but configured.  apt with the
--purge option removes them completely.

Janina Sajka <janina at rednote.net>
Sent by: speakup-bounces at braille.uwo.ca
10/03/2004 05:03 AM
Please respond to "Speakup is a screen review system for Linux."

        To:     "Speakup is a screen review system for Linux." <speakup at braille.uwo.ca>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Debian Uninstall Question

Thanks, Thomas.

With this advice (and the realization that I had kernel source also on
the hd), I've managed to trim things down reasonably well.

But, I'm still befuddled a bit. I try:

dpkg -l

and get a listing of -- what, exactly? I guess I don't understand the
help docs on this. There are packages listed there as installed, but
running apt-get remove on them says "not installed so not removed."

Do I just corrupted tables?

What is the canonical way to get a listing of what's actually installed?

PS: Hopefully, this time I've left my header intact! <grin>