having speak up installation problems

Sean McMahon smcmahon at usgs.gov
Mon Nov 29 12:40:07 EST 2004

Set all your communication settings to the defaults. no serial port, 9600 bod
Software handshake?  There seems to be some descrepancy on that one, but that's
what I use.  Once you've set the com stuff to the defaults, just put the thing
in normal speechbox mode, and that will turn the com stuff where they need to
be.If you use a braillelite, that's s-chord from the speech parameters menu.
Because you get speech at first, these settings are probably ok.  Remember from
the docs provided the iso speakup immages uses acnt_sa as the default synth,
that might be messing you up.  You might try not issuing a boot parameter and
see what happens.  I know before I upgraded my speakup kernel immage, I couldn't
change synths to bns from acnt_sa, but using my bns in this fashion worked ok
for a while though not as good as using the proper setting.  Please review the
docs before implementing my suggestion of not specifying a boot parameter.  Sean