System-config-soundcard

David Bruzos david at bruzos.org
Sun Nov 28 17:24:50 EST 2004

Hello Ken:
Actually I think your thinking is quite good.  However, the sndconfig utility works only with the 2.4.x kernels, because
it looks for OSS kernel modules.  So, you will not be able to use the sndconfig utility to configure the sound on your
FC2 system.  The FC2 system has a 2.6.x kernel, which comes with ALSA by default.  So, you will have to find alternative
methods to setup your sound.

Firs, there are many of those crystal cards around.  Not all of them are supported by the kernel drivers.  You will
have to determine which card you have.  I mean, model number, etc.  My laptop comes with a crystal sound card as well,
but the kernel drivers for crystal cards do not work with it.  Luckily, there is an intel driver that works with my
card.  If you are lucky, your card is the same, since my laptop is a Dell also.  The name of the kernel module is:

"snd_intel8x0"

So, you can try to load that driver into your running kernel by typing (as root):

# modprobe snd_intel8x0

If your system does not blow up, then you can try to put the lines below in your /etc/modprobe.conf file:

alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0

It is only three lines, so make sure they don't get broken up by automatic wrapping of text by your editor.  If you use
vi, you should be ok.

Then, reboot, turn your volume all the way up, and try to play something.  When you turn your volume up, make sure to
do:
# aumix -w 100
aumix -v 100

This is so that your wave volume is up as well as your master volume...
If you still get errors from aumix, then you are back where you started... Sory!

Those drivers work with a lot of cards, so hopefully they work for yours.  Let me know what happends...

Don't forget to remove the lines from your /etc/modprobe.conf if the card still does not work...

David B.