System-config-soundcard

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Sun Nov 28 15:19:33 EST 2004

do you have alsa installed? if not you can get it from
www.alsa-project.org. There probably are rpms for it but I don't know
where you would get them.
On
Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 02:39:49PM -0500, Kenneth Lee wrote:
> Hello all, I'm trying to configure my soundcard and I'm not having much
> luck.
>
> The system is a Dell GX1 running Fedora FC2 and the audio adaptor is a
> built-in Crystal brand.
>
> I googled the speakup archives and read all the msgs related to soundcards.
> Everything I read suggested using sndconfig, so I had to find it on the web
> and install it. I used rpm to install and got a warning (which I already
> forgot), but the program is there and runs.  When I run sndconfig it reports
> that I have no sound mmodules installed in the kernal.  Well I don't know
> anything about that or how to find out what modules are installed nor how to
> install others.
>
> Later I found a utility called "system.config-soundcard" but when I ran it
> it said I need to run in an X window or set my DISPLAY variable.
>
> So  I set my DISPLAY variable to "export DISPLAY=localhost:0" and now
> system-config-soundcard just says I need to be running an X server.
>
> I feel like I'm in an infinite loop! <g>
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Ken -N5SWR

I forgot to mention an important fact in the 1.3.67 announcement. In order to
get a fully working kernel, you have to follow the steps below:
 - Walk around your computer widdershins 3 times, chanting "Linus is
   overworked, and he makes lousy patches, but we love him anyway". Get
   your spuouse to do this too for extra effect.  Children are optional.
 - Apply the patch included in this mail
 - Call your system "Super-67", and don't forget to unapply the patch
   before you later applying the official 1.3.68 patch.
 - reboot
	-- Linus Torvalds, announcing another kernel patch