System-config-soundcard

Kenneth Lee klee15 at cox.net
Sun Nov 28 14:39:49 EST 2004

Hello all, I'm trying to configure my soundcard and I'm not having much
luck.

The system is a Dell GX1 running Fedora FC2 and the audio adaptor is a
built-in Crystal brand.

I googled the speakup archives and read all the msgs related to soundcards.
Everything I read suggested using sndconfig, so I had to find it on the web
and install it. I used rpm to install and got a warning (which I already
forgot), but the program is there and runs.  When I run sndconfig it reports
that I have no sound mmodules installed in the kernal.  Well I don't know
anything about that or how to find out what modules are installed nor how to
install others.

Later I found a utility called "system.config-soundcard" but when I ran it
it said I need to run in an X window or set my DISPLAY variable.

So  I set my DISPLAY variable to "export DISPLAY=localhost:0" and now
system-config-soundcard just says I need to be running an X server.

I feel like I'm in an infinite loop! <g>

Thanks for any help

Ken -N5SWR