here is my questions

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Nov 5 05:54:16 EST 2004

First, and most important, welcome! The short answer to your question is
very simple. Speakup works very, very well.

Now, the somewhat longer answers.

You will be happiest with Speakup if you use a hardware speech
synthesizer. Most such are supported by Speakup, but not all. So, check
the Speakup home page:

http://www.linux-speakup.org

Of course, you can also use software speech both instead of and in
addition to hardware speech--though you wouldn't do so at the same time,
needless to say. And, you can certainly also have emacspeak and any
number of other applications working on the same Linux system.

You should not, however, install Red Hat 9 because it is old and no
longer supported. The Red Hat Corporation has created Fedora Core as the
successor to its free Linux builds. Fedora Core 3 will be released next
week, but read further for more information.

On the Speakup home page we maintain something called the Speakup
Modified Fedora Distribution. This is a Fedora Core with some important
additions. The most important addition is Speakup. It's the easiest way
to get a Fedora-type Linux installation with Speakup on your computer.
And, you can even install it all without sighted assistance. For more
information on how to do that, read our installation HOWTO which you'll
find at this address:

http://www.linux-speakup.org/ftp/disks/fedora/HOWTO_INSTALL.html

The Speakup Modified Fedora Distribution home page is at:

http://www.linux-speakup.org/ftp/disks/fedora/

Once Red Hat releases Fedora Core 3, we will begin working on creating
the Speakup Modified distribution. But, if you can't wait, you can
certainly install the current version and upgrade later.