writing spk howto (?)

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Wed Nov 3 08:53:03 EST 2004

I guess I need to clarify myself on this. Kenny's ideas seem exactly
right to me. What I intended to suggest was the need to avoid a howto
which was based exclusively on one distro without recognizing that
others exist. Something that has sections such as:

For Debian users, do this:

For Redhat/Fedora users, do this:

For Slackware users, do this:

My own experience reading howto's has been disappointing when, for
example, a discussion of installing a name server describes the steps
for Redhat users, with no alternative steps given for persons who do not
have the distro specific configuration tools to run.

Let me also say that if it were necessary to start with a good howto for
just Degbian, say, or just Fedora, that would still be better than not
having a howto at all.

Without checking back on my original post, I don't think I am really in
disagreement with Janina or Kenny here.

Chuck

--
The Moon is Waning Gibbous (66% of Full)
Home page at http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh