writing spk howto (?)

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Nov 2 08:18:26 EST 2004

Absolutely, you should do a Speakup with Software Speech HOWTO. The
community needs one desparately, and there aren't enough of us document
writers to go around.

In all honesty, I must tell you that writing a clear, concise, and
complete HOWTO is hard work. I don't say this to discourage you, but to
point out that there's a reason why more HOWTOs aren't just out there to
be plucked off the net. My advice is to start simple, and Speakup With
Software Speech sounds to me like about the right task.

I will tell you that I attempted to write a HOWTO for Speakup on Linux
together with a professional tech writer from IBM. When the tech writer
left IBM this project stalled--after over 6 months of work between us.
That's when I took the pieces that I actually knew something about and
created the Installation HOWTO for the Speakup Modified Fedora Core.

Which reminds me, writing a HOWTO is only part of the job. The rest of
the job is maintaining the HOWTO which means making new versions when
new facts change the advice people need to have.