writing spk howto (?)

David Bruzos david at bruzos.org
Mon Nov 1 16:39:31 EST 2004

Hello everyone:
This is my first time posting to this mailing list.  I have come here many times before to find info about Linux and
Speakup. I have a running system largely due to the existence of this list.  So, first, I like to thank the people that
organize it and everyone involved in Speakup for their work.  Kirk is the man!

Last week I searched through the archives for hours to find out how to configure my software synth.  I saw, among other
things that there are no howtos for discribing this process and that most of the documentation is somewhat outdated.
Anyway, it would have been much earier for me to setup software speech if there would have been an organized guide or
howto, that explains how to do it...  I am sure that this is no news to most people in this list!

So, I figured that now that I know how to do it, I can put together such a document.  In fact, I would like to
contribute by doing this.  I can not program well enough to improve speakup, but I could help out with the docs.  I
would like to write a general Linux/Speakup howto, but I can not promise that I can finish something like that any time
soon.  So, the software synth thing is a better short term goal.  I am a full-time student at the University of North
Florida and soon to be a Dad, so time might be a problem in the
comming weeks...

I would like to know what other mailing list members think about this.  Are there some reasons why I should not do this?
Are there other people working on a similar project?  Anywthing is cool.  Oh, I am also a Linux newbey, so I might ask
simple questions sometimes...

I am 23 years old and totally blind, so speakup is very important for me.  I have been using Linux for about one year
and used Windows/jfw before that.  I started with Fedora Core 1 and now use
Fedora Core 2 and Mandrake 10 as well.  The reason for Mandrake is so that I can help my father when required...

Thanx!

David