Issues with Gentoo

Jayson Smith ratguy at bellsouth.net
Thu May 20 08:22:03 EDT 2004

Hi all,
Well I did get a Gentoo system up and running.  I switched back to Debian
for the time being, just in case I get any mail or any web hits, as these
aren't working yet in Gentoo.  My questions are.
1.  Exim 4.34.  There's no eximconfig like in Debian!  I modified the
exim.conf.dist and copied it over to exim.conf, or actually I did that in
the reverse order.  I think the way it's working now is that I can't receive
incoming mail from remote servers nor can I send mail to a user on my server
from my server if I specify the domain name.  Unqualified usernames E.G.
jaybird instead of jaybird at jaybird.no-ip.info work and I can send myself
mail that way.  I think the problem has something to do with relaying, but I
thought I had all that set correctly in the config file.  Help!
2.  Pop3.  In particular, qpopper which is what Debian had.  If I try to log
in, when I give my password it waits a long time then tells me
authentication failed, something about an unknown module.  What's up with
that?
3.  Apache 2.  I don't like the document root of /var/www/localhost/htdocs.
I tried to change it to /var/www like in Debian but when I do that every
time I try to hit the server I get a 403 forbidden, no matter what I access.
Changing it back in the config file solves that problem.  I looked at the
file permissions and I think they're right.  Any thoughts?
Well I guess that's all I can think of right now.  Over all, I think I'm
going to really like the Gentoo experience.  I did it from a Stage 1
Install!  Brag, brag!
Jayson.