Effortless editing with Speakup

Gene Collins collins at gene3.ait.iastate.edu
Tue May 18 11:20:46 EDT 2004

Hi Debee.  Well, as Kirk has said in earlier posts, you should upgrade
to a new kernel and the cvs version of Speakup, which is about ready to
become Speakup 2.0, the production version.  The cursor tracking does
indeed work well for editing under the cvs version of Speakup, and it
doesn't really matter which editor you use.

I use one called MicroEmacs, which is a public domain editor.  If you
really want the source, you can google for it, but I've put a tar ball
up on bumpy in the goodies directory, which contains a pre-compiled
binary.  It gives you most of the editing features of gnu/emacs, but
doesn't include the kitchen sink.  This means you don't get html mode,
no mail reader, no news reader, no calendar, etc.  Just a plain vanilla
editor that only uses 2 meg of disk space, instead of the 27 plus meg
that gnu/emacs uses.

If you decide to try it, the tar ball is called uemacs.tar.gz.  download
it, become root, and change to the slash (/) directory.  Untar
uemacs.tar.gz like so:

tar xzf /home/mydir/uemacs.tar.gz

The files will be put in /usr/local/bin/uemacs.  Make sure it is in your
path.  Then type memacs file-name to run the editor.  There is a
.emacsrc file in the /usr/local/bin/uemacs directory that you can
customize.

The menu window with the function key descriptions can be toggled on and
off with the f5 function key, and you enter the help system with f6 and
exit with f10.

I should really put the source up there as well, since it is in the
public domain.  The beauty of this editor is that I've had it on just
about every computer system I've ever worked on.  DOS, a Vax running
vms, an at&t 7300 running system v., a Macintosh, Windows 9.x, dec ultrix
systems, and now linux.  Suffice it to say, that MicroEmacs is a very
small and portable editor.

Gene