Need help installing Speakup in a 2.6.6 Kernel

Jayson Smith ratguy at bellsouth.net
Sat May 15 21:39:00 EDT 2004

Hi,
Well I finally got a Linux box up and running.  And now a few weeks later,
brave old me wants to take a stab at a kernel compile.  But not without a
backup config. so I can run away screeming if needed!  And actually, I'm now
running a 2.6.6 kernel, but with no Speakup.  Why?  Well...  When I run the
install script in the speakup-1.5 directory here's what I get
Patching version v26
Creating .orig files [cat:
/usr/src/linux/drivers/char/speakup/patchlist-v26: No such file or directory
] done.
Patching files [ppatch: install: extra operand
patch: Try `patch --help' for more information.
] done.
Copying files [ccp: copying multiple files, but last argument
`speakup-announcement-1.5' is not a directory
Try `cp --help' for more information.
] done.

I looked and saw a speakup directory in the kernel sources so went ahead and
made the kernel.  But I wasn't asked anything about Speakup and sure enough,
when it came reboot time, it didn't come up talking although it did at least
come up!  Any thoughts?
Thanks.