Sound card issues

Vic Beckley vbeckley at wilkshire.net
Fri May 14 18:57:45 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I am having several sound card issues I would like some help with, but first some general info about my system.  I am running Debian 3.0 R2 with kernel 2.6.6 with the latest CVS of Speakup with ltlk and sftsyn compiled into the kernel.  I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card and am using the ALSA drivers compiled into the kernel.  I have a 5.1 surround sound speaker system connected to the card.  I have gotten the system to play CDs but only through the front speakers.  Now here are my questions.

Now that the ALSA drivers are part of the kernel, where is the sound card information stored?  What file can I edit to make changes to this info?

What is a good mixer program?  I am using Rexima now.  It works fine when I use it as root but when I use it as my local user I get the message that it could not open the mixer.  I have set the permissions on the mixer with the command chmod +rw /dev/mixer.  What might cause this.

How can I save my mixer settings and get them to load on startup?  Now they are always set to 0 when the system starts.

How can I get the rear speakers to be used?

I saw in a message that Greg mentioned that Freeamp is now Zinf.  Is there a Debian package for this?  Where do you get it?

Help with any of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards from Ohio, U.S.A.
Vic
MailTo:vbeckley at wilkshire.net