warning to debian unstable users of speech-dispatcher: upgrade at your own risk

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Sat May 8 21:14:39 EDT 2004

I just did an upgrade of my debian unstable system; it was upgrading
libspeechd, speech-dispatcher and speech-dispatcher festival (may have
been others in this group). At first dpkg returned an error code of 1 on
speech-dispatcher and if I'd been smart I'd have left well enough alone.
but I stopped speech dispatcher and tried again. This time it seemed to
install, but when I tried to run it I got an error on starting speechd_up
about shared objects related to libspeechd.so.1. so i tried recompiling
speechd_up; btw, I searched and sure enough I had no lib.speechd.so.1.
when I tried reinstalling speechd_up, which I had a pretty good idea
wasn't going to work, I got the following error in make:
checking for spd_open in -lspeechd... no
*** Required speechd library missing! See INSTALL .

	 can probably downgrade, and of course this is what one should
expect when running unstable, but thought I'd post this and save others
some grief.

--
Cheryl