Shaun's comments re: Speechd-up Issues

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Fri May 7 01:42:46 EDT 2004

Shaun:
several of us have been working very hard at getting speechd_up to run; it
doesn't work for everybody in the same way all the time. and not everybody
has to follow your magic steps; the debian packages work fine without
having to compile and install; I've never needed to use the -s flag
either, though I'm not criticizing you if that helped you; I did it
because it
was a suggestion but it has never been necessary for me. As a
matter of fact, I can load it fine by hand but it doesn't work for me from
any script, before, during or after login. when somebody else had the same
problem, i posted saying that was my experience too and of course when
Chuck gave his suggestions about how it works for him, suggestions which
I'd already seen and tried, but they are logical suggestions and I'm glad
they work for him, I posted to
say no, that wasn't my problem. Now if you want to consider it whining
when people post that there's a problem and go back and forth trying to
find out why, that's your prerogative.
Some of us have a problem with running it from scripts; you may have a
problem with something else some other day, but if you think we are just
WHINING because we're trying to find out why and posting in case somebody
else may come across the answer, just don't bother reading this thread.
those of us who have a problem have probably not worked any less hard than
you, and i truly don't appreciate your characterizations. I don't think
anybody who has posted about this is WHININg; I don't think it's
necessary
for people to pretend everything is hunky-dory with a new program and I
don't think it's some kind of disloyalty to bring it out in the open.
there is obviously some kind of bug or glitch that some of us are
experiencing and trying to get to the bottom of; it's not likely that
we are going at this point to loook at somebody's steps and say, "Oh
how stupid of me; I forgot something obvious" though it could happen
and it never hurts to review the steps. The fact that you escaped
experiencing this particular problem  doesn't make the rest of us less
competent or less
hard-working than you, and it certainly doesn't make us WHINERS!!!!!
!!
It was nice of you to re-state your steps so concisely; had you done that
without judging those of us who are having trouble and daring to post
about it, there would have been nothing but appreciation from this
quarter. I do indeed have a working speech dispatcher, a working
speechd_up, and a working speakup, even though I have to avoid loading
speechd_up via a script at this point; I even have them working to some
extent with cepstral and I'm very pleased about that as I like those
voices a lot. But as long as I have a problem using scripts with
speechd_up, and as long as there's a chance somebody else has the same
problem and/or may find the solution to it, I'm going to post on this
subject. so when you see:
subject: speechd_up Issues
and my name, if you consider it whining, PLEASE, just SKIP IT.

--
Cheryl