possible speakup bug - lines running together

Jacob Schmude jschmude at adelphia.net
Mon May 3 19:50:22 EDT 2004

Hi all
	About a week ago I reported a bug with speechd_up and speech
dispatcher on the speechd list, involving lines running together when
using speechd_up. Well, yesterday I managed to revive my half-dead dec
express--don't know exactly how I did it but the thing works again. I've
noticed the bug on the dec express as well. Basically, what's happening is
that, when using a keystroke that reads multiple lines, the last word of
the line that is being read is mashed together with the first word of the
next line--the words are pronounced as if there are no spaces between
them. On synthesizers such as the dec express and software dec, this can
obviously create some rather interesting pronunciation anomolies. I had
thought the problem to be in speech dispatcher at first, but since it
happens on my dec express as well, it is clearly either a problem in
speakup or a setting I accidentally changed. Just to demonstrate, here's
two lines:
This is a test of speakup reading more
than one line at a time.
These lines are spoken like this:
This is a test of speakup reading morethan one line at a time.
I'm using speakup 2.0 cvs from 4/14/2004 at 16:23:30 which is the most
recent--I checked for updates before reporting this.
Note that this problem does not surface when the screen is being read as
data comes in, only while reviewing the screen with the numpad.
Has anyone else seen this bug? Have I accidentally changed a setting
somewhere?
Thanks