Flite working at startup, but not Dectalk

Stephen Clower steve at steve-audio.net
Sun May 2 19:25:50 EDT 2004

Hello again folks,

  I have run into an interesting situation when using speech-dispatcher with Speakup. When my default output module is set to Flite, I can boot Linux up and get software speech as soon as I reach the login screen. However, when I set it to the Dectalk synthesizer, I don't get any. I figured that perhaps the system refused to access files located in /usr/local for security reasons, so I copied the say program to the main /usr/bin directory on my hard drive and set the dtk-generic output to /usr/bin/say. However, still no go. Could Fedora have some sort of safeguards of which I'm not aware that would be preventing Dectalk from speaking when I boot into Linux?
Thanks,
Steve

Stephen Clower, that guy from the south.
You can reach me by any of the following:
E-Mail: steve at steve-audio.net
MSN: steve at steve-audio.net
AIM: AudioRabbit03

You can also check out my little home on the web by visiting http://www.steve-audio.net