Fix for DECTalk initscript problems

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Sun May 2 18:27:13 EDT 2004

Okay. Actually, I forgot about the speakup commands to change
rate! I have been doing it by echoing a value to the
/proc/speakup variables.

The thing about killing speechd_up is what I was missing. I have
been changing back to the ltlk just fine, but have then been
unable to bring the softsynth back since I had not been killing
speechd_up.

The more I use this facility, the more I like it.

You mentioned the clicks once (or someone did). But you hear the
same clicks from the doubletalk if you pipe it into a decent
sound system, such as patching it into "line in" on the sound
card. Maybe not quite as bad, but definitely choppy.

Chuck