getting speech-dispatcher to work with dectalRT and speakup

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Sat May 1 10:19:13 EDT 2004

Would somebody who has dectalkRT running with speech-dispatcher and
speakup mind recapitulating exactly what you did so i can try to figure
out what is wrong? I had it working briefly, but now the only module that
will work for me is flite, though according to the log all the output
modules are being loaded. I'm a little skeptical as to what that means,
since as far as I know i don't even have whatever epos is. I did find out,
by the way, that apparently sd_generic can be loaded multiple times with
different programs, so that part is ok. I wonder if my problem has
anything at all to do with the message I get when booting about being
unable to initialize miscdevice /dev/synth.
also, can you tell me where on your system the sd_ modules are located?
The speechd.conf mentions a possible bin directory, but a search reveals
the sd-flite and other sd_ modules only in
/usr/lib/speech-dispatcher-modules. Interestingly, even though flite is
working, when I dropped "sd-flite" for the full path to the sd in
/usr/lib/speech-dispatcher-modules I got an error about not being able to
find it. So I'm wondering if I should have these somewhere else also, and
I'm wondering what path is being called when I use "sd_flite" in the
speechd.conf. I've been through the emails in the speakup archive several
times looking for answers. I did install my speech-dispatcher and flite
packages with debian; the speech-dispatcher daemon is definitely running
and speechd_up does start according to the logs, but I'm wondering if I'm
missing something or messed something up when I recompiled my kernel,
though the only thing I changed was speakup options. I'm getting really
frustrated, but since I know i had dectalk working the other night, I'm
sure it can be done. By the way, dectalk and festival both still work fine
by themselves.
Thanks.

--
Cheryl