Dectalk Linux Question

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Sun Mar 28 11:21:13 EST 2004

Well, although what you are saying makes some sense I don't think it
really applies here.  For one thing shutting up a single line of text
is quite easy because the processing of that line it finished way
before the line is done speaking but the next up arrow or whatever
gets acted on immediately because it is seen quite quickly because the
processing is basically finished.  If you do a say screen there are no
other priorities to get in the way or override because that is the
only operation being output at the time.  So it should speak to
completion in that case because there isn't anything else but it
won't.  It'll stop after just a few lines everytime.

There is no magic to the priority system either.  You or another
program which has been written to use speech dispatcher choose the
priorities.  Speech dispatcher doesn't figure out what priorities
there are it only acts on the priorities which are given to it by an
application sending it strings to speak.  In all cases I've tested so
far the only thing using speech dispatcher was speakup.  I don't know
for sure but I don't think Hynek wrote any different priorities into
the speakup driver.  So there shouldn't be anything overriding the
continuous output of the screen data or to stop a shut-up key from
overriding what is being spoken.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061