Dectalk Linux Question

Jacob Schmude jschmude at adelphia.net
Sun Mar 28 10:41:16 EST 2004

Hi
Actually, I'm not sure the buffer is at fault. The way it was explained,
on the speechd list at least, was that speechd has different priorities of
text. How it determines these priorities I don't know, butif it encounters
a higher priority item, it will stop reading what it was reading and
immediately read the new item. A good example is within lynx the chain, if
there's no URL at the bottom of the screen then the entire screen will
read. If there is, immediately for some reason the last part of the URL is
spoken and the rest of the screen is not read. This is also why command
not found errors aren't read, the shell prompt has a higher priority so it
gets read instead. I think what would have to be done would be to have
speechd_up ignore priorities completely, as they really aren't needed when
using a screen reader and can in fact be a nuisance. If I had to guess.
this is also part of the shut up problem, as a shut up key with no text
gets ignored as a very low priority item. Remember, its not that speech
won't interrupt, just that it won't interrupt if you don't send any text
with it. If you read a line then move up to the previous line, then it
will interrupt quite quickly and begin reading that line.