linux and accessibility applications

Tom and Esther Ward tward1978 at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 27 06:54:17 EST 2004

Hi. I realize that most of Linux users love the shell, but there is a reason
for the curren trends to add accessibility to the GUI, java swing, and other
GUI  based stuff. First, that is the way in which 99% of all sighted users
operate, and one way or another staying at the shell prompt will restrict us
equal access to flagship applications. Second, the large majority of
disabled computer users have grown in to Windows, and those I've asked will
not even try Linux until something like the Gnome accessibility project
matures enough that is equal with Jaws and Windows.
So in the end there is nothing silly in the trend at all, but we can only
have something else to gain. What we do with it will end up being decided by
personal preference.
Hth.