ram question

Sean McMahon smcmahon at usgs.gov
Mon Mar 22 18:09:11 EST 2004

I don't know if this is motherboard specific or os specific info I'm going to
give you.  Usually you want all your ram to be as fast as your buss speed or
higher, error-correcting or non-error correcting, which depends on your
motherboard.  Get the error correction wrong and you're fried. Of course the
most obvious thing, what does your motherboard support for total ram and what
does it support in each slot, I think that sometimes matters.  I don't know what
distro you use, or if it matters but the debian installation manual has a note
about expanded vs. extended memory in one of the first 3 chapters.
Sean