knowing when the computer is booted

Jacob Schmude jschmude at adelphia.net
Sun Mar 21 19:03:23 EST 2004

Hi
What's going on here is module autoloading. The way Fedora and probably other redhat-based distributions configure their sound drivers is that they aren't
loaded until they are needed. Running aumix to view or change a setting causes the sound drivers to load, as the kernel has detected that in order to
access the mixer, the sound drivers must be started. Playing a sound file, or doing anything else with the card for that matter, should trigger the loading of
the sound drivers. This is normal behavior for the way fedora configures its sound modules.
If you really need the sound drivers to be loaded at boot-up, edit the file
/etc/rc.d/rc.local
and add the line
aumix -q
This will cause a mixer query and load those sound modules right up, but it will display your mixer settings every time you boot. Generally, the you shouldn't
need to do this.
HTH