A question for Shane W about changing synths in Sarge

Doug Sutherland wearable at cogeco.ca
Sun Mar 21 14:33:43 EST 2004

Are you sure about this ...

 > the kopt way is actually less work as if you append speakup_synth
 > to the kernel lines, you will need to redo it whenever you install
 > a new kernel.  The advantage to kopt is that when a new kernel-image
 > gets installed, update-grub is automatically run and your
 > speakup_synth line affects the new version.

Grub reads the menu.lst from your disk, unlike lilo, which doesn't
do this. Quoting a web page:

Unlike Lilo, it is not necessary to re-run or re-install the boot
loader after every change to /boot/grub/menu.lst. menu.lst is automatically
found on GRUB's root disk and read during GRUB's boot process.

 From http://myrddin.org/howto/debian-grub.html

I don't think you need to update-grub every time you change menu-lst.
In fact, as I said earlier, I added a line for a new slackware install
before even installing slackware, and grub just worked.

update-grub generates a menu-lst ... I never use that because I just
edit the menu.lst myself. Haven't found a need for update-grub or kopt yet.

Another way of installing grub is by using these commands:
grub         < start the grub shell
root (hd0,3) < tell grub where the menu.lst will be
setup (hd0)  < install grub in the mbr

   -- Doug