knowing when the computer is booted

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sun Mar 21 10:04:21 EST 2004

For Red Hat 9, and the more up to date Fedora Core 1.0, you need to create an initial ram disk image that includes Speakup like so:

mkinitrd -v -f /boot/initrd-[version].img --with=[speakup.module] [version]

where [version] is the kernel version (use uname -r) and [speakup.module] is the module you're currently using modprobe to load.

I have also found it useful to play a sound via a line like the following at the end of /etc/rc.local:

play /boot/boot.wav

Of course, I need to find a sound I like and copy it to /boot/boot.wav for this to work.

PS: I also have a /boot/login.wav and a /boot/logout.wav that are played by .bash_profile and .bash_logout respectively.