Here maybe a solution to speech in X Windows:

Saqib Shaikh S.Shaikh at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Mar 18 23:39:56 EST 2004

What you say applied equally to Gnome/Gnopernicus.  Gnopernicus will only
work with Gnome apps that are written to conform to Gnome standards.  If
custom widgets are developed, the developer must implement accessibility.

For Mac all Cocoa apps without custom widgets get automatic accessibility,
but go a bit off the track and you'll have to implement your own
accessibility to support custom widgets.  Carbon apps are generally not
going to be accessible unless the author puts work in to make this happen.
Apps that run in the Unix, Classic or Java modes of OS x are almost
certainly not going to be accessible in Spoken Interface 1.0 - and remember,
Spoken Interface 1.0 is (at my guess) about a year away.

Saqib