debian kernel-image-2.4.24-speakup

bithead bithead at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Mar 15 03:23:47 EST 2004

I'm a newbie but quickly learning--I'm going on 3 weeks being microsoft
free. Liberated and happy!

I have a machine running Debian, and I want to run speakup on it. There
is a kernel image with speakup available via apt-get
(kernel-image-2.4.24-speakup).

Questions:
1. Is there a software-only speech synth?
2. Once I do apt-get install, how do I tell lilo to run the new kernel?
3. What are the lilo boot parameters?
4. After this, can I boot without speakup and into X (without changing
the kernel again)?

Note: the install was done from a Knoppix CD. Nothing special, all the
hardware was auto-detected and it boots into the Debian splash (X login).

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance for any/all help....

bithead