mail viruses

Joseph C. Lininger jbahm at pcdesk.net
Fri Mar 5 19:07:22 EST 2004

Well now that's the tricky part, getting rid of it. First, did you
open this
under Windows? If you opened it under Linux, you probably don't need
worry about it. Anything with a .exe extention is most probably a
Windows
executable. If you did open it under Windows, then you'll need to
clean it
out. You can't trust your virus scanner to do it for you, as it may
or may
not be corrupted by the virus. (yes there are viruses that attempt to
corrupt virus scanners and/or firewalls) The first step is to
identify the
virus you have. Look at the following web site:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Here you can run a virus scan over the web. You want to use this to
identify the virus because it is not subject to corruption by the
virus. The accessibility on this sight is tarrible, but it's the only
one of it's kind that I know of. This scanner can clean some viruses,
and if it cleans it out than your done. If it doesn't, then you have
to clean it out yourself. I can't discuss how to do it, as the
instructions very based on the virus.
- ---
Joseph C. Lininger
jbahm at pcdesk.net