possibly a bad error

Whitley CTR Cecil H WhitleyCH.ctr at cherrypoint.usmc.mil
Mon Mar 1 09:29:53 EST 2004

Hi,
In your email you said..
*snip*
>About two seconds after I hit OK in Disk Druid to tell it to create my
partitions, I get an >error saying the space was not able to be allocated.
In some instances, it tells me that it was >unable to create a primary
partition. Is it absolutely necessary that I use a primary partition >to
install Linux? A friend told me that logical partitions preformatted to EXT2
would work just >as well.
*snip*
First, a hard drive can only contain four (4) primary partitions.  It may
optionally contain three (3) primary and one extended partition.  If you are
trying to exceed this limit, you would recieve the error you are seeing.
Are you trying to set up a dual boot system, or are you trying to create
more than four primary partitions?  Depending on the hardware you have, you
may need to have at least the /boot partition within the first 4GB of the
hard drive.  Any other partitions may be defined as "logical" drives within
an extended partition.  If you use a "/" partition within the first four (4)
GB of your hd, remember to establish partitions and mountpoints for /var,
/usr and /home.  Optionally I *believe* you can do a /boot at the front of
your hd and a "/" partiition within the extended partition which will have
everything else under it.  I would get confirmation of this from others on
this list before implementing it though, because it's a guess not a fact.
Regards,
Cecil