tips needed on iso files

Luke Yelavich themuso at themuso.com
Tue Jun 29 19:27:10 EDT 2004

Hi.
HOWTOs below your tasks.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 08:18:29AM EST, Chuck Hallenbeck wrote:
> 1. I have the four iso files for SW 10.0 (thanks, Greg) plus the
> associated md5 files. How do I verify the intactness of my
> downloads? The man page seems to suggest I should have a command
> called "md5" unless I am misreading it, but there ain't no such
> animal on my system. Related to that, I will then burn a set of
> CD's and will need to verify those burns as well.

You are looking for the md5sum command. So do something like this:

# md5sum slackware-10.0-install-d1.iso.md5

This will check whether the ISO has downloaded ok.

> 2. There should be a way to "open" those iso files, copying or
> converting them to the corresponding files and directories,
> without first burning the CD's and then mounting and copying the
> contents back in again. How would you do that, going directly
> from an iso file to a directory structure on the HD?

# mount -o loop /path/to/iso-file.iso /mount/point

Then simply copy the files you need to whereever you want them, and unmount the
ISO.

hth

Luke