text editors

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Fri Jun 25 01:27:43 EDT 2004

Define simple. Everything's complicated until you know how it works,
then it's not so complicated anymore. If you think Word is simple, I'd
have to disagree. WordPerfect 5.1 wasn't simple until I learned how to
run it and how to get help with it. If you want something that's
simple, you likely mean that you want something like something else
you've used before, and you probably won't get anything like that.

However, not knowing what you've tried, I can't comment as to its
relative ease of use, complexity, feature richness, or anything
else. Unless you tell us which editors you've tried already, we really
can't help you find one that might meet your needs better.

Having said that, however, may I suggest nano?

If it's not on your distribution, it should be. It's very like pico,
only more so. And there are two lines of help at the bottom of every
screen with more available easily. Actually, nano meets a lot of my
needs. I use it or emacs. Is it simple? Well, I'd say it's easy to
use, but then again, I've used it (or pico, which is similar but less)
for about 10 years, but I did get started with it pretty fast.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV