zsh command line and speakup

Justin Ekis jekis at fastmail.us
Sat Jun 19 21:28:23 EDT 2004

Hi all.
I'm trying to switch to the zsh shell but I'm getting some odd behavior
which is a little hard to explain and somewhat annoying.
Using zsh, when I type the second character of a command speakup always
repeats the first two letters I typed again. This doesn't happen with
any other shell or anywhere else where you'd type at a prompt.
It used to show up in lftp but it's mysteriously gone now.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I'm using slackware current with
zsh 4.2.0. Yes I know current can be unstable but I've been using it for
months now and this is the first even minor glitch.

Thanks in advance for any advice.