Need direction please

Jeff Jacobson jeffjac2 at Bluewater-Publishing.com
Tue Jun 15 22:30:55 EDT 2004

Hi,

I.m new to the list. I.m trying to build a Linux system for a blind friend
of mine. The system is:

Dell Dimension TS500 . Pentium-3 @ 500 MHz
external DecTalk express

I currently have Debian 2.2.20 running on the machine, after many hours of
fussing to get the new 80gb disk installed properly and Xfree86 / KDE
running.

Now I learn that Speakup needs kernel 2.4.25, or later. I downloaded the
2.6.6 kernel from www.kernel.org, thinking I may as well jump all the way
if a kernel build is required.

After downloading Speakup 1.5 and running the .checkout. program in
accordance with the INSTALLATION document, I am not prompted to configure
Speakup. I.m following the directions carefully, but having no luck.

In the interest of not wasting several days trying to .recreate the wheel.
I thought someone on the list might get me going down the best path to
make this happen. I noticed the link on speakup.org to the Debian floppy
creation for Woody3, but am trying to avoid reinstalling Debian after all
of the hours I already have invested in this current machine.s
configuration.

Would someone please be kind enough to advise me (as concisely as
possible) on how I should proceed? Maybe a fresh install is my only
choice?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Jeff