Dectalk ISA model

Debee Norling NorlingDeborah at fhda.edu
Tue Jun 15 13:37:50 EDT 2004

Ok, everyone. First, lots of thank yous. I now have a 2.4.26 kernel running
with CVS speakup. It supports my hardware and seems very stable.

I know lots of you recommended I go immediately to 2.6xx but I am trying to
change only one thing at a time and reduce complexity.

But the original goal was to get this Dectalk ISA card working so I could
return the Express to my employer.

I have the script Gene Collins posted to the list and it looks
straightforward. But what happened to dtload, the executable? I find source
for dtload.c, dtload.h and dtpc_regs.h in
/usr/src/linux/drivers/char/speakup, but where did the binaries go?

I have lots of other copies of dtload binaries on my system because I
scoured the net trying all the drivers that might work.  So "locate dtload*"
shows lots of stuff.  But I think this is all the old stuff that just made
the system crash.   Also, where's the documentation that explains how dtload
works?

I did find the dec_pc.tgz in both the speakup directories and the goodies
directory on the speakup ftp site, but that's the original driver that never
worked. It had a readme, the binary for dtload, but no source and some (what
appears to be) really old firmware for the older dectalk isa card. I have a
DTPC2.

Maybe I'm supposed to compile this dtload.c separately, put its binary
somewheres together with my own firmware that the DOS drivers normally load
and then execute dtload. But is this the version that supports the -v
(verbose) and the -t (test parameter?

I looked thru the source for dtload -- it looks like it might support these
parameters and require my DOS firmware,  but there are more comments on how
the GPL works than on actually how to use this driver.  I know the C
language, a little, but never programmed under UNIX.

I've looked at so many copies of dtload and so many readmes for drivers that
don't work that I'm getting confused.

--Debee