Compiling My Kernel -- still having trouble

Debee Norling NorlingDeborah at fhda.edu
Mon Jun 14 13:23:06 EDT 2004

I spent most of my weekend trying to compile a Speakup-enabled kernel. The
good news is I compiled several stock kernels, without speech and without
errors. I can boot them; they locate and support all my hardware fine. I can
telnet in to the machine and even mount my USB flash drive.

But I get errors every time I try to patch in Speakup.

I have been careful to completely remove the entire source tree and untar a
brand-new tree to /usr/src. I create the soft link so linux-2.4.22 points to
/usr/src/linux. This is Slackware 9.1, kernel version 2.4.22. I've tried
using the source tree that is part of my distro; also downloaded a new
2.4.22 tree from kernel.org.

I tried installing Speakup 1.5 and I also tried getting the 2.26 from CVS. I
tried doing the 1.5 first, then the cvs patches.

If I ignore the patching errors and do make oldconfig, I am prompted for the
new things, like all the synthesizers, including the Dectalk ISA card. The
speakup directory is there under /usr/src/linux/drivers/char,  and lots of
source and header files are there as well. But of course, this patched
kernel doesn't compile.

I've read all the documentation I could find and that was recommended on
this list, but I'm obviously missing something.

Here's a snip from the patching output:

U speakup/diff-v26/include^linux^speakup.h.copy
Creating .orig files [..................] done.
Patching files [pppppppppp1 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file
/usr
/src/linux/drivers/char/Makefile.rej
ppppppp] done.
Copying files [ccccc] done.