Speakup Soft Speech--What's the status?

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Mon Jun 7 11:30:31 EDT 2004

Ok, here's what I'm using at the moment, though again the rate problem
isn't resolved.

# Cepstral software output module is based on the generic plugin for Speech
# Dispatcher. It means there is no C code written explicitly for
# this plugin, all the specifics are handled in this configuration
# and we call a simple command line client to perform the actual
# synthesis. Note that this is not an optimal solution, but
# it's reported to work.
#
# Please note that Cepstral software is currently *not* Free Software.
# You might want to look at Festival instead.

# GenericExecuteSynth is the shell command that should be
# executed in order to say some message. This command must
# stop saying the message on SIGKILL, otherwise it's useless.
# You can use the variables $LANG, $VOICE, $PITCH and $RATE
# which will be substituted for the appropriate value (you
# can modify this value, see other parameters).
# The command can be split into more lines, if necessary, using '\'.
GenericExecuteSynth \
"/usr/local/bin/theta -N $VOICE -S $PITCH -r $RATE \"$DATA\""
# GenericStripPunctChars is a list (enclosed in doublequotes) of
# all the characters that should be replaced by whitespaces in
# order not to be badly handled by the output module or misinterpreted
# by shell.
# We need to strip `[' and `]', as these are DECTalk's
# command characters.
# GenericStripPunctChars  ""

# AddVoice specifies which $VOICE string should be assigned to
# each language and symbolic voice name. All the voices you want
# to use must be specified here.
# NOTE:
# There is a multilingual version of DECTalk software, however I
# do not have it. Thus, only the US English voices are defined here.
# If you know about the other languages, please let us know on
# <speechd at freebsoft.org>

AddVoice	"en"	"MALE1"		"Frank"
AddVoice	"en"	"MALE2"		"Walter"
# AddVoice	"en"	"MALE3"		"dennis"
AddVoice	"en"	"FEMALE1" 	"Emily"
AddVoice	"en"	"FEMALE2"	"Linda"
# AddVoice	"en"	"FEMALE3"	"wendy"
AddVoice	"en"	"CHILD_FEMALE"	"Robin"

# These parameters set _rate_ and _pitch_ conversion. This is
# part of the core of the definition of this generic output
# module for this concrete synthesizer, it's not intended to
# be modified by common users.
# The resulting rate (or pitch) has the form:
# 	(speechd_rate * GenericRateMultiply) + GenericRateAdd
# while speechd_rate is a value between -100 (lowest) and +100 (highest)
# You have to define some meaningful conversion for each synthesizer
# NOTE:
GenericRateForceInteger 0
GenericPitchForceInteger 0
GenericRateAdd 0
GenericPitchAdd 0
# (These values are multiplied by 100, because DotConf currently
# doesn't support floats. So you can write 0.85 as 85 and so on.)

GenericRateMultiply .5
GenericPitchMultiply 1

# Debug turns debugging on or off
Debug 1

# DebugFile specifies the file where the debugging information
# should be stored (note that the log is overwritten each time
# the module starts)
DebugFile "/tmp/debug-dtk-generic"

--
Cheryl