Speakup Soft Speech--What's the status?

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Mon Jun 7 09:16:53 EDT 2004

Janina Sajka <janina at rednote.net> writes:

> Chuck, you're reading me loud and clear! <grin> That's exactly what
> I mean. I see that Speech-Dispatcher claims to support switching
> among soft synths on the fly, even based on circumstance. For
> example, it supports responding to different languages by using a
> different soft synth. So, I expect that we should have a concept of
> how we facilitate switching from Flite, to DEC Talk software speech,
> and then to Cepstral, and then back again to Flite. And, it needs to
> be as easy as using Speaks With--which I thank you for, by the way.

That is an unintentional mistake in the speech dispatcher
documentation.  It would be very difficult to be able to reliably
determine in context what language a particular word or phrase was
part of.

The speech dispatcher software does support switching of synths on the
fly but it is a very recent addition brought on by my questioning this
exact topic of documentation.

I do not have support for switching on the fly yet in speakup or
speechd-up but will hopefully in the near future now that it can be
done in speech dispatcher.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061