Speakup Soft Speech--What's the status?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sun Jun 6 10:09:43 EDT 2004

Dear Friends:

Some weeks ago there was intense activity on the Speakup list as several folks worked to get various software speech synths functional for Speakup. I'm just wondering what the status of all that is as of today.

For myself I have Speakup working with Flite and Speechd_up, but I'd rather drive DEC Talk or Cepstral. I'm unclear about how that would be done. I presume this is not done at the Speakup end, but somewhere between speech-dispatcher and speechd_up? Is this correct? How does it happen? Is there a vision of how we get to switching among various soft synths as we now can with hardware synths?

Thanks to everyon, Jacob, Cheryl, Chuck, Kirk, and all others, who've worked on this. It's really quite cool and extremely handy especially with portable computers.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development

		Chair, Accessibility Workgroup