Speakup kernels on Alpha

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Jun 5 08:22:21 EDT 2004

Yeah, it really is rather cool to have one of these monsters spitting up their bios to a Braille Lite. And you really don't need a video card either. My machine doesn't have a video card--Speakup just references the dummy video driver.

If you know Debian better, then stick with it. I believe Debian packages for Alpha are more up to date. The last Red Hat release for Alpha is 7.2, though there is some movement for porting Fedora.

It's old hardware, though, and finding parts can be challenging.